The Club might be temporarily closed, but that doesn't mean the reading has to stop.
While browsing the Library shelves in person isn't possible, the Drive-Thru Library service means books, magazines and DVDs are just an order away.
Beyond its nearly 20,000 English-language books, periodicals and audiobooks for adults and children, the Library is a haven for knowledge exploration, relaxation and literary events.
Boasting a broad collection of titles, free-to-use computers and tablets, a selection of DVDs and Blu-rays, a patio and study booths, the Library also hosts regular author and kids' events and supports a monthly book group.
Books, Audiobooks and Magazines
- Checkout period: 14 days
- Items may be renewed twice. Renewal does not apply to items on hold.
- Up to 10 books, three audiobooks and three magazines per membership card may be checked out at any one time.
- Overdue fees: ¥50 per day for adult/young adult items; ¥30 per day for children's items.
DVDs and Blu-rays
- Checkout period: seven days (three days for new releases)
- Items may be renewed twice. Renewal does not apply to items on hold or new releases.
- Up to three items per membership card may be checked out at any one time.
- Overdue fees: ¥100 per day
- Lost items will incur a replacement fee (¥3,000 for books; ¥1,000 for magazines), along with the cost of a new item (accrued overdue fees will be waived).
- If a lost item is returned before a replacement has been purchased, the cost of the book will be refunded (accrued overdue fees will remain).
- Member-purchased replacements will not be accepted.
Requesting and Holding Books
- Members can put a hold on titles by e-mail, the Club website or phone.
- While about 50 books are added to the collection each month, the Library is happy to accept title requests.
OverDrive: Digital Books
- Browse a global catalog of digital titles and audiobooks through the Library's OverDrive collection online or download the OverDrive app to any device.
- Click Sign In on the OverDrive front page then input your five-digit membership number. Use the same ID for the password.
The Library regularly replenishes its giveaway shelves. Book donations are accepted only with approval by the Library manager.
The Club stocks around 120 English-language magazines, including Yoga, GQ, Fine Cooking and Ideal Home, as well as such daily newspapers as the Financial Times, The Japan Times and The International New York Times.
Members also enjoy free access to newspapers from around the world by signing in to PressReader through the Club's PressReader webpage.
Those who prefer listening to their page-turners can browse the Library's selection of 550 audiobooks on CD.
The Library also stocks hundreds of movies, TV shows and documentaries, including family and foreign-language flicks, on DVD (region 1) and Blu-ray (region A).
This welcoming, glass-enclosed space is chock-full of titles for budding bookworms up to the age of 12 (children under 8 must be accompanied by an adult).
The Children's Library also organizes seasonal reading programs, author events and book-related activities.
The Library organizes regular author events and has welcomed the likes of award-winning Japanese authors Sayaka Murata and Kyoko Nakajima, British journalist Richard Lloyd Parry and North Korea expert Bradley Martin.
Join fellow bibliophiles for some casual literary chatter on the third Thursday of the month from 11am–12:30pm at Vista. Contact the Library for more details.