Jindaiji Daruma Festival—Cancelled
Travel to one of the oldest temples in Tokyo for a traditional daruma doll festival that dates back to the 17th century.
Hundreds of years old, Jindaiji is a Buddhist temple located in a charming, leafy quarter of western Tokyo.
Browse the daruma wish dolls for sale from more than 300 stalls and select your own talisman to help you in your personal goal or ambition.
Since a daruma is typically missing its eyes, the idea is to fill in one eye when you set your goal and fill in the other eye once you achieve it.
- The daruma is modeled after Bodhidharma, the founder of Zen Buddhism.
- Daruma are hollow and round and painted in auspicious colors.
- The daruma's eyebrows are shaped like cranes and its beard like turtles, two animals that represent longevity.
- The kanji characters for words like luck, fortune and perseverance are sometimes inscribed on daruma.
- Meeting point: corner of Russian Embassy
- Connections members: ¥9,000
- Non-Connections members: ¥9,900
- Price includes transportation by chartered bus, lunch and entrance fee to garden
- Adults only
- Connections member registration: Feb 4 (10am)
- Non-Connections member: Feb 11 (10am)
- Safety measures: temperature checks, mandatory masks and social distancing (one person per double seat on bus)
- This tour will run rain or shine, please be prepared for any type of weather.
- Due to the ongoing Covid-19 situation, there is a possibility that the festival, and therefore the tour, could be canceled.
Other events you may also like...
Online | Price: see details
Children's Library | Free
Beate Sirota Gordon and Haru Reischauer classrooms | Price: see details