Drawing and Oil Painting
Explore the possibilities of the brush and canvas in this wide-ranging class.
What will I learn in this class?
With guidance from the instructor based on past experience, students embark on a journey through one or several artistic disciplines.
Learn how to draw using a plaster head mold.
- Basic Oils I
Learn to paint using a limited palette.
- Prerequisite: Drawing
- Basic Oils II
Explore the principles of color harmony with a color wheel.
- Prerequisite: Drawing and Basic Oils I
- Intermediate Oils I
Learn to create the effect of El Greco, da Vinci, Rembrandt, Turner and Impressionist artists using the color triangle.
- Prerequisite: Drawing and Basic Oils I and II
- Intermediate Oils II
Learn the techniques of glazing, blending, scumbling, drybrush, broken color and alla prima.
- Prerequisite: Drawing, Basic Oils I and II, Intermediate Oils I
For a list of required materials and detailed course descriptions, please check here.
Who teaches this class?
A former Frederick Harris Gallery exhibitor, Carolyn Dong has studied across a variety of disciplines under master artists such as Fred Lipp and Shinjiro Nakamura. Dong embraces the philosophy that artists should learn from one another.
- Sep 23, Oct 7, 14, 21, 28, Nov 4, 11, 18, Dec 2 & 9
- Toko Shinoda and Yukiko Maki classrooms
- ¥35,500 (materials fee: ¥10,000–¥23,000)
- Cancellation deadline: Sep 11
- By registering, Members accept the inherent risks in activities where social distancing requirements cannot be followed, and they agree not to hold the Club liable in the case of injury, illness or contraction of COVID-19 during these activities.