Drawing and Oil Painting
Explore the possibilities of the brush and canvas in this wide-ranging class.
What will I learn in this class?
With guidance from the instructor based on past experience, students embark on a journey through one or several artistic disciplines.
Learn how to draw using a plaster head mold.
- Basic Oils I
Learn to paint using a limited palette.
- Prerequisite: Drawing
- Basic Oils II
Explore the principles of color harmony with a color wheel.
- Prerequisite: Drawing and Basic Oils I
- Intermediate Oils I
Learn to create the effect of El Greco, da Vinci, Rembrandt, Turner and Impressionist artists using the color triangle.
- Prerequisite: Drawing and Basic Oils I and II.
- Intermediate Oils II
Learn the techniques of glazing, blending, scumbling, drybrush, broken color and alla prima.
- Prerequisite: Drawing, Basic Oils I and II, Intermediate Oils I
What is the goal of this class?
Students develop artistic skills and explore new forms of expression through a gradual deepening of knowledge and appreciation of print-based arts.
Who teaches this class?
A former Frederick Harris Gallery exhibitor, Carolyn Dong has studied across a variety of disciplines under master artists such as Fred Lipp and Shinjiro Nakamura. Dong embraces the philosophy that artists should learn from one another.
- Feb 5, 12, 19, 26, Mar 4, 11, 18, Apr 8, 15, May 13, 20 & 27
- Toko Shinoda & Yukiko Maki classrooms
- ¥36,500 (materials fee: ¥8,000–¥20,000)
- Cancellation deadline: Jan 28